Thursday, June 21, 2018

A few thoughts on the subject of life and death from yours truly. 

Life. 

In general, there is a lack of appreciation and value on the life we have been given. 

Death. 

In general, there is a lack of respect for death. 

So, now you ask why I think this??

In two and a half years I have attended six funerals. Not just funerals for people I know. People I loved and cared for dearly. In those same two and half years, there have been at least six more funerals of people that I knew. People that I have grown up with their kids, People that I saw on a weekly basis at church. People that I deeply respected. 

Through all of this, I have seen over and over again relatives, either in a moment of denial, grief, sadness, or lack of moral character fail to give their loved one respect during this time. 

Maybe, it's my own views on life and death that is shaded maybe it's not. But the one thing I do know is life is a gift. It's not something to take advantage of. It's not something that can be easily regifted or returned. We have one life in this world. One. Show some appreciation for the life God gave you. Love your self. Respect yourself. Believe in yourself. Stand up for yourself. Spend time with your family. Surround yourself with positive influences. People who will lift you up in a time of need and laugh with you in a time of happiness. And don't be afraid to rid yourself of those people who do not have your best interest at heart. Forgive yourself. Spread love. Go out and enjoy the sunshine. Sleep in. Play outside with your kids. Go on dates with your spouse. Look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself " I am worth it. I have value. I am loved!" Say it and believe it. 

Do all this so when you're called to the great heavens you can say that you lived your life to the fullest. No excuses. No regrets. You truly and honestly valued the life God gave you. You're loved ones can lay you to rest knowing that you are now in your place of rest. That through their grief they can also be happy. Because... you loved your life. 

When your loved one passes on...no matter the relationship with that person. Show them the respect that you would expect to be given to you. I know it can be hard... trust me I know... but remember that their life had value too. Be present during this time of transition. If you are in charge of planning the funeral... do so. If you have never done this it will be difficult but it also gives you a new perspective on life and death. By doing this you are honoring your loved one's life. Is it easy? Nope. Is it needed? Yes. Celebrate the good times and remember the bad times. Those times are what have molded you into the person you are today.  

Always remember that tomorrow is not promised. As quick as you take your next breathe your life can be over. A split second and life as we know it can change. Just like that. 

Life is a once in a lifetime gift. 

Death is just as deserving of respect as life is valued. 





No comments:

Post a Comment